Fluoride Treatment – Austin, TX
Preventing Cavities and Strengthening Tooth Enamel
What Is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a natural mineral that works to not only combat tooth decay and cavities but also strengthen tooth enamel. Found in drinking water and most toothpaste brands, Dr. Tijerina offers additional fluoride treatments to all his patients. From toddlers to elderly individuals, this beneficial service can keep your teeth strong and healthy for years to come.
What Are the Benefits?
- Fights bacteria that can harm your teeth and gums, resulting in tooth decay and cavities
- Strengthens the outer layer of your teeth known as the enamel
- Better protects individual smiles that are at high risk for developing cavities
- Quick and easy treatment that is completely painless
- Can be performed during your dental checkup, so there is no need for a separate appointment
How Does Treatment Work?
Depending on your individual case, Dr. Tijerina may suggest fluoride treatment every six months. If you are at an increased risk for cavity development, it might be advantageous to seek these treatments every three months or whatever the recommendation is from your dentist.
When receiving fluoride treatment, the process is quick, easy, and completely painless. Typically performed during a regular checkup, he will apply a topical gel to each individual tooth, ensuring it is covered and protected. Taking only minutes, you will need to avoid eating or drinking for at least 30 minutes after your treatment. This will allow the fluoride to fully absorb into your teeth.
It is important that although fluoride will help to provide greater protection from tooth decay, there are steps you and your family can take to prevent cavities from developing, such as:
- Maintaining good oral hygiene at home
- Avoiding too much sugar and eating a well-balanced diet
- Drinking plenty of water to avoid dry mouth
- Seeking treatment for bruxism, TMJ, and other disorders that can weaken tooth enamel