June 2, 2019
Every time you look in the mirror, you can’t help but notice how crooked your teeth are. They make you ashamed to smile in pictures sometimes, because you don’t want that crooked smile preserved forever. You want to straighten your teeth, but braces will make you look like a dorky teenager. Fortunately, there are two other ways to fix your teeth: Invisalign and porcelain veneers. Let’s look at how each of them can fix your crooked teeth and how to decide which one is right for you.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign consists of a set of clear plastic aligners that you wear over your teeth to gradually straighten your smile. Because they are transparent, many adults prefer them over braces. In addition, they come with none of the dietary restrictions that braces do, since the aligners are removable. They can straighten more severely crooked teeth than veneers can.
What Can Invisalign Do?
- Correct bite issues
- Straighten crooked teeth
- Close gaps between teeth
- Improve dental health
What Advantages Does Invisalign Have Over Porcelain Veneers?
- Improves dental health: While veneers merely cover up crooked teeth, Invisalign actually straightens them. When teeth are straight, the risk for tooth decay and gum disease is reduced.
- Requires little maintenance: Once the treatment is over, all you need to do is wear your retainer at night to maintain your newly straight smile. Veneers need to be replaced every 5 to 10 years, which can get expensive over time.
- Preserves tooth enamel: Before veneers are attached, a layer of tooth enamel must be removed. Invisalign does not damage the surface of the teeth.
- Fixes rotated teeth: Invisalign can turns rotated teeth so they are straight. Veneers only give your teeth the appearance of being straight.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Veneers are thin shell-like pieces of porcelain attached to the front surface of your teeth. Your cosmetic dentist will remove a layer of enamel from the front of your tooth, and then place the veneers over them. Voila! You have an instantly beautiful smile.
What Can Porcelain Veneers Do?
Porcelain veneers can:
- Hide cracks and chips in teeth
- Produce quick results
- Conceal tooth stains
- Straighten slightly crooked teeth
What Advantages Do Porcelain Veneers Have Over Invisalign?
- Fewer dental visits: Your dentist can install veneers in just two appointments. Invisalign requires regular checkups every six weeks.
- Corrects discoloration: Veneers can hide stains on the surface of teeth. Invisalign cannot affect tooth color.
- Painless treatment: Veneers result in no pain, while Invisalign may cause some discomfort as you get used to wearing the aligners.
- Hides cracks: Invisalign is clear, so any chips or cracks are still noticeable.
If you’re interested in correcting your crooked teeth, the best thing to do is talk to your cosmetic dentist about your options. However, we hope this piece gave you some idea about which one you would prefer.
About the Author
Dr. Hector Tijerina received his doctorate at Baylor College of Dentistry. He has been working on the dentistry field for 6 years now. He is proud to provide the best dental care he can in both English and Spanish. For more info on how he can help you fix your crooked teeth with Invisalign or porcelain veneers, click here or call (512)-339-7848.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.