October 4, 2018
October is National Dental Hygiene Month! This time of year brings awareness to the importance of good oral health and the wonderful work that dental hygienists do. We often take our oral health for granted, but did you know that it can affect our overall health too? Read on to discover the importance of good oral health, the work dental hygienists do, and some tips on how to get the best dental hygiene in Austin.
Why Oral Healthcare is Important
Despite what you may think, the leading cause of tooth loss in America is gum disease. Gum disease, tooth decay, and other dental issues are minor problems if they are treated quickly. However, letting dental issues fester can lead to tooth loss, but it can also affect your overall health. For example, patients with gum disease are more likely to have heart disease or other cardiovascular problems.
Why You Should Always Thank Your Hygienist
Dental hygienists are often taken for granted, which is why National Dental Hygiene Month is a great time to give them the credit they deserve. By giving your teeth a great clean each visit, they are removing plaque and tartar that couldn’t be removed during your normal brushing routine. This prevents issues like chronic bad breath, gum disease, cavities, decay, and much more.
When speaking to your dental hygienist, you should ask them some common oral health questions:
- What can I do to improve my oral health?
- Do you see anything abnormal in or around my mouth?
- Is there anything I should talk to my family doctor about?
These are just a few common questions to keep in mind for your next dental visit.
How to Maintain Good Oral Hygiene
Check out a few easy steps you can take to keep your dental hygiene in tip-top shape:
- Be sure to brush twice a day, for two minutes each session. You should brush all the surfaces of your teeth and clean your tongue to remove leftover bacteria.
- Floss once a day to clean any plaque or debris out from in between your teeth.
- Chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva flow. Saliva naturally washes away plaque and bacteria.
- Finish your brushing and flossing routine off with some mouthwash. A quick rinse can clean parts of the mouth your brush and floss can’t.
Now that you know how to keep your oral health in check, you can celebrate National Dental Hygiene Month the right way. Just make sure that you’re maintaining regular appointments with your dentist in Austin for a healthy set of pearly whites.
Meet the Dentist
A graduate of Baylor College of Dentistry, Dr. Hector Carlos Tijerina enjoys providing the highest quality dental care possible. He believes in patient education, which is why he’s not afraid to give his patients tips on how to keep their teeth healthy even when he’s not there. He currently practices at Parkfield Family Dental, and he can be contacted through his website or by phone at (512) 339-7848 for any questions.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.